Posts for tag: dental crowns
Putting off a trip to the dentist until something goes wrong is fairly common. According to a Gallup poll of over 175,000 Americans, as many as a third of those interviewed admitted to not having been to the dentist in over a year. In addition to increasing the risk of developing gum disease and tooth decay (yes, even if you floss every day), skipping regular dental care can also take a toll on the cosmetic aspect of your teeth. Problems that start out small, like a minor chip or crack, can get worse over time and eventually tarnish your smile. Dr. Steve Pleickhardt, a dentist in Gainesville, VA, recommends dental crowns for a number of cosmetic and restorative dental problems.
Dental Crowns in Gainesville, VA
Our teeth are constantly at risk for cosmetic issues like chips, cracks and staining. Crowns are one of the most versatile dental restoration treatments available. Custom designed to fit over a damaged tooth (why they are also sometimes referred to as a dental cap), crowns can correct a number of cosmetic and general dentistry problems, including:
- Restore a chipped or cracked tooth
- Replace a missing tooth as part of a bridge
- Strengthen teeth after treatment for cavities that are too large to fill with a standard filling, and root canal therapy
- Cover stains and discolorations
- Unevenly spaced or sized teeth
Crowns are a minimally invasive, affordable and cosmetically attractive option to fix a number of dental problems. Beyond cosmetic problems, crowns can help to restore damaged teeth that are making it difficult for you to eat and chew properly or interfering with your quality of life.
Find a Dentist in Gainesville, VA
Whether you are overdue for a dental exam and professional teeth cleaning or would like to learn more about your options for fixing cosmetic damage to your smile, American Dental can help. Contact us by calling (703) 753-6695 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Pleickhardt today.
A damaged tooth doesn’t have to be the end of the world!
We all want to have a healthy, beautiful smile. Unfortunately, decay and erosion are nasty problems that affect many smiles. And if these issues are left untreated and you don’t see your Gainesville dentist Dr. Steve Pleickhardt for treatment then you’ll require more intensive treatment to remove the decayed or damaged sections and restore the tooth. Find out how a simple dental crown can help improve a damaged tooth.
When is a dental crown needed?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that is designed to fit over your tooth to restore its function, structural integrity, and appearance. Here are some situations that may warrant getting a dental crown from your Gainesville dentist:
- If a tooth has a severe crack, chip or break
- If a tooth is suffering from severe decay or an infection and requires a root canal
- If a tooth is misshapen, discolored or unsightly
- To cover a dental implant
- To secure a dental bridge in place
What are the benefits?
Porcelain crowns are a great solution for treating damaged or severely decaying teeth. Here are only some of the benefits you’ll enjoy when you get dental crowns:
- Realistic: While crowns can be made from stainless steel, metal or other materials, porcelain crowns are similar to the look of real teeth so no one will know you are wearing a dental crown.
- Strong: Porcelain is a durable, strong material and with the proper care some dental crowns can last up to 15 years.
- Easy care: This restoration doesn’t require special treatment. Just treat it like you do the rest of your smile by brushing twice a day and flossing daily.
- Stain-resistant: Porcelain is an amazing material that is also resistant to staining, so you don’t have to worry about certain foods or drinks discoloring your new restoration.
There are tons of other advantages of getting dental crowns, so don’t wait to find out if they could improve your smile. Call American Dental in Gainesville, VA to schedule a consultation with Dr. Pleickhardt.