A damaged tooth doesn’t have to be the end of the world!
We all want to have a healthy, beautiful smile. Unfortunately, decay and erosion are nasty problems that affect many smiles. And if these issues are left untreated and you don’t see your Gainesville dentist Dr. Steve Pleickhardt for treatment then you’ll require more intensive treatment to remove the decayed or damaged sections and restore the tooth. Find out how a simple dental crown can help improve a damaged tooth.
When is a dental crown needed?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that is designed to fit over your tooth to restore its function, structural integrity, and appearance. Here are some situations that may warrant getting a dental crown from your Gainesville dentist:
- If a tooth has a severe crack, chip or break
- If a tooth is suffering from severe decay or an infection and requires a root canal
- If a tooth is misshapen, discolored or unsightly
- To cover a dental implant
- To secure a dental bridge in place
What are the benefits?
Porcelain crowns are a great solution for treating damaged or severely decaying teeth. Here are only some of the benefits you’ll enjoy when you get dental crowns:
- Realistic: While crowns can be made from stainless steel, metal or other materials, porcelain crowns are similar to the look of real teeth so no one will know you are wearing a dental crown.
- Strong: Porcelain is a durable, strong material and with the proper care some dental crowns can last up to 15 years.
- Easy care: This restoration doesn’t require special treatment. Just treat it like you do the rest of your smile by brushing twice a day and flossing daily.
- Stain-resistant: Porcelain is an amazing material that is also resistant to staining, so you don’t have to worry about certain foods or drinks discoloring your new restoration.
There are tons of other advantages of getting dental crowns, so don’t wait to find out if they could improve your smile. Call American Dental in Gainesville, VA to schedule a consultation with Dr. Pleickhardt.
Get ready to dazzle them all when you get professional teeth whitening in Gainesville.
It’s not too surprising that we put a lot of value on our smiles. If your Gainesville, VA dentist Dr. Steve Pleickhardt were to ask people what they would change about their smiles we bet may people would say that they want to get whiter and more radiant teeth. If you are happy with the overall shape of your smile but would like to brighten your teeth and remove yellowing and stains then teeth whitening might be the best option for you.
What stains can professional whitening tackle?
It’s true that our system offers the strongest bleaching gel that you can get. This coupled with the chairside laser we use to active the gel and speed up the whitening process ensures that patients get beautiful results in under an hour. Of course, there are certain stains that will respond better to teeth whitening than others including stains caused by:
- Foods/drinks (wine, tomato sauce, tea, coffee, etc.)
Internal stains caused by trauma, excessive exposure to fluoride or certain medications do not respond as well to teeth whitening as external stains will. Of course, there are other cosmetic dentistry treatments that can get your smile more radiant so don’t hesitate to talk to your Gainesville cosmetic dentist about other options.
Why choose in-office whitening?
We know that there are many ways to whiten smiles, from using whitening toothpastes to opting for at-home systems, but if you are looking to get a significantly brighter smile in under one hour then you’ll want to come in for in-office whitening. You may spend more for this treatment than you would with commercial products but many patients agree that the results are well worth it.
In-office whitening is designed to brighten and remove stains from the front eight teeth. In some instances it can even get smiles up to 10 shades brighter. Plus we are trained to handle any issues that may arise, including tooth sensitivity (which is much harder to control when using at-home whitening systems).
These results can also last up to two years if you maintain good oral hygiene, avoid stain-producing foods and smoking, and continue to visit us every six months for routine cleanings and exams.
Professional teeth whitening has been giving countless people brilliant smiles and you could be next. To find out if you’re a good candidate for whitening call American Dental today.
If you have one or more missing teeth and are considering their replacement, you have probably heard of dental implants. This revolutionary dental restoration is implanted directly into the bone of your jaw to create an incredibly sturdy and permanent foundation for your replacement tooth. American Dental in Gainesville, VA can help you determine if dental implants are the best treatment option for your situation.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
- Prevents Bone Atrophy: When a tooth is missing, the bone underneath it is no longer stimulated. This causes the bone to break down, or atrophy. This bone loss causes the skin to sink in or sag, resulting in a prematurely aged face. Dental implants, once installed, stimulate the bone once again, preventing bone loss from happening further.
- Safe for Your Natural Teeth: Since the implant is connected directly to the jawbone and not held in place with the support of any other teeth, it has no negative affect on the teeth around it. Bridges require the teeth surrounding your gap to be prepared and shaped for the crowns which hold it in place. This permanently changes the tooth’s appearance, meaning it will always need a crown, connected to a bridge or on its own, to function correctly.
- Easy Care: Caring for your dental implants is just as easy as caring for your natural teeth. Simply brush and floss twice a day as you normally would. Be sure to visit your dentist twice a year to ensure that your teeth are regularly examined and cleaned. This allows your dentist to monitor your implants’ progress and adjust them if necessary.
- Long-Lasting and Durable: Your dental implant will integrate directly into your bone. It does not get more permanent than that. Instead of replacing only the tooth, dental implants replace the tooth’s root as well. Dental implants are made to last a lifetime.
- The Most Natural Appearance: Your implant will blend right in with your natural teeth. The dental crown which attaches to the implant is customized to your mouth. Additionally, the crown is meticulously color-matched to the surrounding teeth. This ensures the most natural appearance possible.
For more information on dental implants in the Gainesville, VA area, please contact your dentist at American Dental. Call (703) 753-6695 to schedule your appointment today!
Maintaining a healthy mouth is vital to good overall health. What you eat plays a part in preventing decay, cavities, bone loss or even gum disease. Being aware of foods that promote a healthy smile can save you build healthy teeth and gums. A diet rich with fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins, while taking care to avoid saturated fats is recommended. Some foods, though, are more tooth friendly than others.
Avoiding sugary foods such as gummy snacks or lollipops is not the only answer to a tooth-healthy diet. Foods high in sugar and acidity cause bacteria that settle on the teeth, leading to problems down the line, such as plaque and cavities.
Babies and Children
Even though babies do not yet have teeth to keep healthy, there are ways to avoid issues with the teeth waiting to grow in. Never put your child down to sleep with a bottle of milk or juice, as the sugars in those drinks sit on teeth while the child is asleep instead of being washed away throughout the day. A pacifier or bottle of water is, however, suitable before bed. Wiping down the gums with a clean, moist cloth in the morning and before bed also helps in preventing tooth and gum related problems.
Older Children and Teens
While it is known that children and teens love sweets and fizzy drinks such as soda, it is important to both their general and oral health to avoid these kinds of foods. Encouraging them not to snack between meals means that sugary snacks or soda will not stay on the teeth throughout the day.
Just like with children and teens, a healthy diet contributes to a healthy mouth. Avoiding sugary foods and sodas helps to combat plaque and decay. For the required amount of calcium, which strengthens teeth, two to four servings of dairy, like milk or eggs, per day is suggested. One piece of citrus fruit, such as an orange or grapefruit daily is suggested for the proper Vitamin C intake, which helps the body repair tissue and fight off infection. Crunchy vegetables like celery or carrots are also great for teeth in that they help clean the teeth, and also require more chewing, resulting in increased saliva production.
Some tooth-friendly foods include:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Lean meats
Foods to avoid include:
- Sports drinks
- Fruit juices
- Potato chips
Another important part of maintaining healthy teeth and gums is to undergo a regular dental examination every 6 months. If you have questions about a tooth healthy diet or would like to schedule a dental exam, American Dental in Gainesville, VA can help. With a knowledgeable, considerate staff using top of the line equipment, any questions you may have will be answered. Visit www.americandentalva.com to schedule a consultation today!
While the process of obtaining dental implants from your dentist, Steve Pleickhardt, DDS at American Dental in Gainesville, might be time consuming,the process of caring for your dental implants after you have them could not be simpler. Not only do dental implants look and feel like your own natural teeth, but you take care of them the same way too!
With dental implants from American Dental in Gainesville, your dentist won't require you to use any special products, tools or procedures. You don't have to take your teeth out to clean them and then put them back in again. You simply take care of them like you would your own natural teeth. Brush, floss, rinse and keep regular dental check-ups and your dental implants will continue to look great for years to come.
Plus, dental implants even come with a few extra benefits that your own, natural teeth do not offer. For example, they cannot get cavities and they are resistant to staining. If your teeth were stain or cavity prone before, this news should come as a great relief.
Of course, just because your dental implants can't stain or get cavities doesn't mean that it isn't important to take care of them. The rest of your teeth can still stain, which would cause your teeth to appear mismatched. They are not immune to everyday wear and tear, and they still collect food particles and bacteria, which can make your breath smell bad. Furthermore, the rest of your mouth, including your gums and the lining of your cheeks, still need to be taken care of as well.
If the process of deciding which tooth restoration method to choose or which dentist to visit has been stressful, you can rest assured knowing that the hassle is nearly over. Dental implants from Dr. Pleickhardt, your trusted dentist at American Dental in Gainesville, are not only safe, durable, and effective, but they are also incredibly easy to care for as well!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.