How your emergency dentist in Bristow, Virginia can help when you have a dental emergency.
If you or a family member has a dental emergency, it can be a stressful experience for everyone involved. You can prevent some of the stress by being prepared for it when it happens.
Dr. Steve Pleickhardt of American Dental in Bristow, Virginia is an emergency dentist who knows what to do when you have a dental emergency.
There are all kinds of things that can lead to a dental emergency including a sports injury, vehicle accident, or even just untreated tooth decay.
If you want to be prepared, you should gather together a dental first aid kit for your home or car. The dental first aid kit should contain:
- Tylenol tablets or other pain medication
- Sterile saline solution for rinsing
- Sterile gauze patches or tissue
- A small container with a lid
- Dr. Pleickhardt’s office address, phone number, and after-hours contact numbers
If you or a family member suffers a dental emergency, remember to:
- Gently clean the area free of blood and debris
- Press a piece of gauze or tissue to the area to stop the bleeding
- If you have chipped or broken a tooth, you also need to rinse your mouth out
- Apply an ice pack on the area to reduce swelling
- If you have knocked a tooth out of position, gently try to place the tooth in the proper position
If you have knocked a tooth out completely, rinse the tooth off, being careful to only handle the tooth by the crown and not the roots. This is to avoid contaminating the roots with bacteria.
Place the tooth in the container with saline solution to keep it moist. If you don’t have a container, the tooth can also be placed between the cheek and gum.
Being prepared for a dental emergency can help you or a family member do well in a stressful situation. To find out more about dental emergencies and dental emergency treatment, call Dr. Steve Pleickhardt of American Dental in Bristow, Virginia at (703) 753-6695. Call today.