A damaged tooth doesn’t have to be the end of the world!
We all want to have a healthy, beautiful smile. Unfortunately, decay and erosion are nasty problems that affect many smiles. And if these issues are left untreated and you don’t see your Gainesville dentist Dr. Steve Pleickhardt for treatment then you’ll require more intensive treatment to remove the decayed or damaged sections and restore the tooth. Find out how a simple dental crown can help improve a damaged tooth.
When is a dental crown needed?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that is designed to fit over your tooth to restore its function, structural integrity, and appearance. Here are some situations that may warrant getting a dental crown from your Gainesville dentist:
- If a tooth has a severe crack, chip or break
- If a tooth is suffering from severe decay or an infection and requires a root canal
- If a tooth is misshapen, discolored or unsightly
- To cover a dental implant
- To secure a dental bridge in place
What are the benefits?
Porcelain crowns are a great solution for treating damaged or severely decaying teeth. Here are only some of the benefits you’ll enjoy when you get dental crowns:
- Realistic: While crowns can be made from stainless steel, metal or other materials, porcelain crowns are similar to the look of real teeth so no one will know you are wearing a dental crown.
- Strong: Porcelain is a durable, strong material and with the proper care some dental crowns can last up to 15 years.
- Easy care: This restoration doesn’t require special treatment. Just treat it like you do the rest of your smile by brushing twice a day and flossing daily.
- Stain-resistant: Porcelain is an amazing material that is also resistant to staining, so you don’t have to worry about certain foods or drinks discoloring your new restoration.
There are tons of other advantages of getting dental crowns, so don’t wait to find out if they could improve your smile. Call American Dental in Gainesville, VA to schedule a consultation with Dr. Pleickhardt.