Posts for tag: Dental Implants
Did you know that the average American adult is missing 7 teeth? While many people get used to the loss of one or more of their teeth, they may experience problems later in life. Other people may be self-conscious if their teeth are missing in a conspicuous spot. However, you can fill in those noticeable gaps and prevent more problems from developing with dental implants. Dr. Steve Pleickhardt, your dentist at American Dental in Gainsville, VA, is proud to offer these revolutionary tooth restorations to his patients.
What can dental implants do for me?
Talking, eating and smiling are all easier and more comfortable when you've retained all your natural teeth. Unfortunately, years of decay or an accident can leave you without one - or several. Although you may have learned to compensate for the loss, your remaining teeth tend to shift when there are gaps next to them, resulting in further loosening and total loss. Dental implants not only give you a more attractive smile - they actually replicate the tooth's entire structure. With the post in place in the jawbone and the crown on top, this prosthesis, offered by your Gainesville dentist, is the closest thing you can get to turning back time when it comes to your smile.
Who is eligible for dental implants?
There are a few conditions which may exclude you from getting dental implants from your dentist right away. Those with uncontrolled autoimmune disorders, as well as diabetes, may not have the healing properties needed for implant placement. Patients who are currently pregnant or undergoing cancer treatments should also not have elective dental procedures. Significant bone loss in the gum ridges, caused by years of tooth vacancy, may not allow for proper integration of the post. The initial consultation you have with Dr. Pleickhardt at American Dental will determine if dental implants are right for you. The good news is that once most of these conditions are completed or controlled, dental implants are usually a viable option.
We hope you'll contact us to learn more about how dental implants can help you. Setting up an appointment is easy - just call American Dental in Gainesville, VA today!
If you have one or more missing teeth and are considering their replacement, you have probably heard of dental implants. This revolutionary dental restoration is implanted directly into the bone of your jaw to create an incredibly sturdy and permanent foundation for your replacement tooth. American Dental in Gainesville, VA can help you determine if dental implants are the best treatment option for your situation.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
- Prevents Bone Atrophy: When a tooth is missing, the bone underneath it is no longer stimulated. This causes the bone to break down, or atrophy. This bone loss causes the skin to sink in or sag, resulting in a prematurely aged face. Dental implants, once installed, stimulate the bone once again, preventing bone loss from happening further.
- Safe for Your Natural Teeth: Since the implant is connected directly to the jawbone and not held in place with the support of any other teeth, it has no negative affect on the teeth around it. Bridges require the teeth surrounding your gap to be prepared and shaped for the crowns which hold it in place. This permanently changes the tooth’s appearance, meaning it will always need a crown, connected to a bridge or on its own, to function correctly.
- Easy Care: Caring for your dental implants is just as easy as caring for your natural teeth. Simply brush and floss twice a day as you normally would. Be sure to visit your dentist twice a year to ensure that your teeth are regularly examined and cleaned. This allows your dentist to monitor your implants’ progress and adjust them if necessary.
- Long-Lasting and Durable: Your dental implant will integrate directly into your bone. It does not get more permanent than that. Instead of replacing only the tooth, dental implants replace the tooth’s root as well. Dental implants are made to last a lifetime.
- The Most Natural Appearance: Your implant will blend right in with your natural teeth. The dental crown which attaches to the implant is customized to your mouth. Additionally, the crown is meticulously color-matched to the surrounding teeth. This ensures the most natural appearance possible.
For more information on dental implants in the Gainesville, VA area, please contact your dentist at American Dental. Call (703) 753-6695 to schedule your appointment today!
While the process of obtaining dental implants from your dentist, Steve Pleickhardt, DDS at American Dental in Gainesville, might be time consuming,the process of caring for your dental implants after you have them could not be simpler. Not only do dental implants look and feel like your own natural teeth, but you take care of them the same way too!
With dental implants from American Dental in Gainesville, your dentist won't require you to use any special products, tools or procedures. You don't have to take your teeth out to clean them and then put them back in again. You simply take care of them like you would your own natural teeth. Brush, floss, rinse and keep regular dental check-ups and your dental implants will continue to look great for years to come.
Plus, dental implants even come with a few extra benefits that your own, natural teeth do not offer. For example, they cannot get cavities and they are resistant to staining. If your teeth were stain or cavity prone before, this news should come as a great relief.
Of course, just because your dental implants can't stain or get cavities doesn't mean that it isn't important to take care of them. The rest of your teeth can still stain, which would cause your teeth to appear mismatched. They are not immune to everyday wear and tear, and they still collect food particles and bacteria, which can make your breath smell bad. Furthermore, the rest of your mouth, including your gums and the lining of your cheeks, still need to be taken care of as well.
If the process of deciding which tooth restoration method to choose or which dentist to visit has been stressful, you can rest assured knowing that the hassle is nearly over. Dental implants from Dr. Pleickhardt, your trusted dentist at American Dental in Gainesville, are not only safe, durable, and effective, but they are also incredibly easy to care for as well!