A beautiful smile often does not happen naturally. However, with the help of your cosmetic dentist, you can change your smile for the better using the various available cosmetic dentistry procedures at American Dental. Two popular choices for cosmetic dentistry are Invisalign and teeth whitening. Learn more about these important procedures with Dr. Steve Pleickhardt at American Dental in Gainesville, VA.
How can Invisalign help me?
Invisalign is a full orthodontic treatment which helps patients with misaligned teeth or a less than ideal bite. However, unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign has an innovative system using clear aligner trays worn in the mouth. Rather than contrasting with your teeth as the metal brackets and wires of traditional braces do, Invisalign is virtually invisible to the people around you, allowing you to straighten your smile in the least obvious way possible.
Is teeth whitening right for my smile?
Teeth whitening is ideal for patients who wish to improve the appearance of their smile by making it brighter and whiter. The procedure itself lasts around an hour and occurs right in your dentist’s office. One whitening session provides dramatic results, especially when compared to at-home kits which require weeks or months of continued use before patients see any change in their smile. Good candidates for teeth whitening should not have any visible porcelain dental restorations like veneers or crowns as whitening does not work on them.
Teeth Whitening and Invisalign Treatments in Gainesville, VA
After straightening your teeth with Invisalign, you may wish to further improve your teeth with teeth whitening for a full smile overhaul. While your dentist is your final confirmation that Invisalign or teeth whitening will work for you, many patients use these cosmetic procedures together to give them a whole new look.
For more information on teeth whitening and Invisalign in the Gainesville, VA, area, please contact Dr. Pleickhardt at American Dental. Call (703) 753-6695 to schedule your appointment today!
Did you know that the average American adult is missing 7 teeth? While many people get used to the loss of one or more of their teeth, they may experience problems later in life. Other people may be self-conscious if their teeth are missing in a conspicuous spot. However, you can fill in those noticeable gaps and prevent more problems from developing with dental implants. Dr. Steve Pleickhardt, your dentist at American Dental in Gainsville, VA, is proud to offer these revolutionary tooth restorations to his patients.
What can dental implants do for me?
Talking, eating and smiling are all easier and more comfortable when you've retained all your natural teeth. Unfortunately, years of decay or an accident can leave you without one - or several. Although you may have learned to compensate for the loss, your remaining teeth tend to shift when there are gaps next to them, resulting in further loosening and total loss. Dental implants not only give you a more attractive smile - they actually replicate the tooth's entire structure. With the post in place in the jawbone and the crown on top, this prosthesis, offered by your Gainesville dentist, is the closest thing you can get to turning back time when it comes to your smile.
Who is eligible for dental implants?
There are a few conditions which may exclude you from getting dental implants from your dentist right away. Those with uncontrolled autoimmune disorders, as well as diabetes, may not have the healing properties needed for implant placement. Patients who are currently pregnant or undergoing cancer treatments should also not have elective dental procedures. Significant bone loss in the gum ridges, caused by years of tooth vacancy, may not allow for proper integration of the post. The initial consultation you have with Dr. Pleickhardt at American Dental will determine if dental implants are right for you. The good news is that once most of these conditions are completed or controlled, dental implants are usually a viable option.
We hope you'll contact us to learn more about how dental implants can help you. Setting up an appointment is easy - just call American Dental in Gainesville, VA today!
A damaged tooth doesn’t have to be the end of the world!
We all want to have a healthy, beautiful smile. Unfortunately, decay and erosion are nasty problems that affect many smiles. And if these issues are left untreated and you don’t see your Gainesville dentist Dr. Steve Pleickhardt for treatment then you’ll require more intensive treatment to remove the decayed or damaged sections and restore the tooth. Find out how a simple dental crown can help improve a damaged tooth.
When is a dental crown needed?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that is designed to fit over your tooth to restore its function, structural integrity, and appearance. Here are some situations that may warrant getting a dental crown from your Gainesville dentist:
- If a tooth has a severe crack, chip or break
- If a tooth is suffering from severe decay or an infection and requires a root canal
- If a tooth is misshapen, discolored or unsightly
- To cover a dental implant
- To secure a dental bridge in place
What are the benefits?
Porcelain crowns are a great solution for treating damaged or severely decaying teeth. Here are only some of the benefits you’ll enjoy when you get dental crowns:
- Realistic: While crowns can be made from stainless steel, metal or other materials, porcelain crowns are similar to the look of real teeth so no one will know you are wearing a dental crown.
- Strong: Porcelain is a durable, strong material and with the proper care some dental crowns can last up to 15 years.
- Easy care: This restoration doesn’t require special treatment. Just treat it like you do the rest of your smile by brushing twice a day and flossing daily.
- Stain-resistant: Porcelain is an amazing material that is also resistant to staining, so you don’t have to worry about certain foods or drinks discoloring your new restoration.
There are tons of other advantages of getting dental crowns, so don’t wait to find out if they could improve your smile. Call American Dental in Gainesville, VA to schedule a consultation with Dr. Pleickhardt.
Get ready to dazzle them all when you get professional teeth whitening in Gainesville.
It’s not too surprising that we put a lot of value on our smiles. If your American Dental dentist Dr. Steve Pleickhardt were to ask people what they would change about their smiles we bet may people would say that they want to get whiter and more radiant teeth. If you are happy with the overall shape of your smile but would like to brighten your teeth and remove yellowing and stains then teeth whitening might be the best option for you.
What stains can professional whitening tackle?
It’s true that our system offers the strongest bleaching gel that you can get. This coupled with the chairside laser we use to active the gel and speed up the whitening process ensures that patients get beautiful results in under an hour. Of course, there are certain stains that will respond better to teeth whitening than others including stains caused by:
- Foods/drinks (wine, tomato sauce, tea, coffee, etc.)
Internal stains caused by trauma, excessive exposure to fluoride or certain medications do not respond as well to teeth whitening as external stains will. Of course, there are other cosmetic dentistry treatments that can get your smile more radiant so don’t hesitate to talk to your Gainesville cosmetic dentist about other options.
Why choose in-office whitening?
We know that there are many ways to whiten smiles, from using whitening toothpastes to opting for at-home systems, but if you are looking to get a significantly brighter smile in under one hour then you’ll want to come in for in-office whitening. You may spend more for this treatment than you would with commercial products but many patients agree that the results are well worth it.
In-office whitening is designed to brighten and remove stains from the front eight teeth. In some instances it can even get smiles up to 10 shades brighter. Plus we are trained to handle any issues that may arise, including tooth sensitivity (which is much harder to control when using at-home whitening systems).
These results can also last up to two years if you maintain good oral hygiene, avoid stain-producing foods and smoking, and continue to visit us every six months for routine cleanings and exams.
Professional teeth whitening has been giving countless people brilliant smiles and you could be next. To find out if you’re a good candidate for whitening call American Dental today.
If you have one or more missing teeth and are considering their replacement, you have probably heard of dental implants. This revolutionary dental restoration is implanted directly into the bone of your jaw to create an incredibly sturdy and permanent foundation for your replacement tooth. American Dental in Gainesville, VA can help you determine if dental implants are the best treatment option for your situation.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
- Prevents Bone Atrophy: When a tooth is missing, the bone underneath it is no longer stimulated. This causes the bone to break down, or atrophy. This bone loss causes the skin to sink in or sag, resulting in a prematurely aged face. Dental implants, once installed, stimulate the bone once again, preventing bone loss from happening further.
- Safe for Your Natural Teeth: Since the implant is connected directly to the jawbone and not held in place with the support of any other teeth, it has no negative affect on the teeth around it. Bridges require the teeth surrounding your gap to be prepared and shaped for the crowns which hold it in place. This permanently changes the tooth’s appearance, meaning it will always need a crown, connected to a bridge or on its own, to function correctly.
- Easy Care: Caring for your dental implants is just as easy as caring for your natural teeth. Simply brush and floss twice a day as you normally would. Be sure to visit your dentist twice a year to ensure that your teeth are regularly examined and cleaned. This allows your dentist to monitor your implants’ progress and adjust them if necessary.
- Long-Lasting and Durable: Your dental implant will integrate directly into your bone. It does not get more permanent than that. Instead of replacing only the tooth, dental implants replace the tooth’s root as well. Dental implants are made to last a lifetime.
- The Most Natural Appearance: Your implant will blend right in with your natural teeth. The dental crown which attaches to the implant is customized to your mouth. Additionally, the crown is meticulously color-matched to the surrounding teeth. This ensures the most natural appearance possible.
For more information on dental implants in the Gainesville, VA area, please contact your dentist at American Dental. Call (703) 753-6695 to schedule your appointment today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.